When you're making plans for your kids upcoming summer vacations, you have several options. Sports camp, traditional overnight camps, boy/girl scout programs, etc... The option are not limited. One style of summer program out there that most people are unaware of is summer enrichment. I know what you're thinking - "what are academic enrichment prgrams?" and "my kid just finished an entire year of school, why would I want to send them back to the classroom during the summer?" I don't blame you - that sounds terrible. What I am here to tell you is that enrichment provides so much more than that. Here's everything you need to know about a summer academic enrichment program:
- They prepare you for college style living. students who attend academic enrichment camps and programs typically live and exists on a college or university campus. Classes are typically offered in every field imaginable, so you can always find a subject that you are excited about.
- They are still fun! Even though you spend time learning, summer enrichment programs excel at teaching in a way that is engaging, fun and exciting. A good enrichment program understands that it is summer vacation - students do not want to be doing homework all night and studying for tests. Instead, they expose students to subjects they are excited about and give them motivation to continue learning about them even after the program ends.
- Enrichment programs are not only for high school students! This is a common misconception. These types of programs exist for both middle as well as high school students. The key difference is the classroom environment and the subjects offered. While middle school students are supervised differently throughout the day, the idea is the same. They will be exposed to independent learning and, most importantly, learning about something they love!
- Exploring new passions is a key component to enrichment programs. A student may not know that they love app development and coding, but after taking a course in it at a summer enrichment program, this could change completely. Programs like these are great for stepping out of your comfort zone and exposing yourself to new and exciting passions.
- Independence, Independence, Independence. Did I mention that students will learn to make independent decisions based on what is best for them and their community? Students will be able to decide when they close their eyes for the night, who they meet and how they maximize the connections they are able to make during the program. This is truly a valuable set of skills to learn.
Now that you know more about what enrichment programs offer, you know that they are an incredible, engaging, fun-filled, network-building option for your kids that will not only provide them with the time of their lives over the summer, but also give them the tools they need to be successful in life. What more can you ask for your kids?