We’ve all been in this position before. The summer rolls around, you need a place to cool off! But have no fear because Philadelphia offers great places in the summer to go inside and beat the heat. Philadelphia has something to offer for all interests in the summer to get out of the sun and cool off. Here is a list of great places to visit in Philadelphia to beat the heat.
Ice Cream and Treats
- Capogiro Gelato: Capogiro Gelato is one of the best locations near the Penn campus to cool off with a gelato. All 27 flavors are made fresh each morning. Located at 3925 Walnut Street.
- Kiwi Frozen Yogurt: Choose between 16 different frozen yogurt flavors and 40 different toppings. This do it yourself frozen yogurt venue has become a big hit on the Penn campus. Check them out at 3606 Walnut Street.
- Insomnia Cookies: Founded by a Penn student. Insomnia Cookies is a great late night food spot. Insomnia Cookies offers a variety of freshly warm baked cookies and ice cream. Insomnia cookies even offers delivery and online ordering! Stop by their original location at 3417 Spruce Street.
- Allegro Pizza: If you are craving fresh brick oven pizza, then Allegro pizza is the place for you. Located at 3942 Spruce Street by the Penn campus.
- Bobby's Burger Palace: Bobby's Burger Palace is designed by Food Network star, Bobby Flay. Bobby Flay takes his passion for cooking to a whole new level with various burger options. Located right on the campus of Penn. Check out their menu!
- To learn more about Philadelphia authentic foods such as cheesesteaks, checkout our post from Brett as he shares other great food Philadelphia has to offer.
Coffee Shops and Cafes
- Lovers and Madmen: Lovers and Madmen Coffee Lounge offers a variety of fresh pressed drinks, gourment sandwiches and local organic pastries. Free WiFi is available. Lovers and Madmen is also involved with many community events. Located at 28th South 40th Street in University City by the Penn campus.
- Green Line Cafe: A family owned cafe, Green Line is a great place to enjoy coffee, cold drinks, along with a variety of sandwiches and pastries. Check out all of Green Line Cafe's locations and hours.
- Starbucks: Located through out the city and on the Penn campus in University City at 3800 Locust Street.
- Ritz Movie Theater: There are three different Ritz Movie Theaters that Philadelphia offers. This is a great place to cool off from a hot and humid day.
- University City 6: Located at 4012 Walnut Street near the Penn campus.
- Constitution Center: For history buffs. The National Constitution Center is a 16,000 square-foot museum dedicated to the United States Constitution. The National Constitution Center offers a theatrical performance of “We The People.”
- Franklin Institute and Tuttleman IMAX Theater: Interactive science museum. The Tuttleman IMAX Theater is located inside the Franklin Institute as well. The Tuttleman IMAX Theater offers a wide variety of films. From science topic journeys to big screen blockbuster films.
- Independence Seaport Museum: Looking to cool off and not be stuck inside? Look no further than the Independence Seaport Museum. Located next to the Delaware River. Learn about Philadelphia’s history with sailing and port.
- Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum: The Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum if a museum unlike any kind in the world. Simeone Foundation Automotive explores 60 of the rarest cars that the world has to offer. Visit the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum where the air conditioning is always blasting and the cars are always cool.
- Adventure Aquarium: Located in Camden’s riverfront. Adventure Aquarium is a 200,000 square foot indoor aquarium with 8,500 animals in over 2 million gallons of water.