For some of us, math does not come easily and this can lead to a lot of frustration in the classroom. Concepts tend to build on other concepts and if you don’t have a strong foundation of the previous fundamentals, it is very easy to get behind quickly.
For others, math comes naturally to them and they cruise through problems and coursework. They may be getting restless with their current curriculum because they can’t wait to get to concepts that actually challenge them.
These two stories illuminate a maxim in mathematics; it is an incredibly difficult subject to pace for an entire classroom. Because the material is so dense and technical, it is hard for teachers to challenge some students without leaving others behind, even in advanced placement classes. This is one of the reasons that regardless of which end of the spectrum you may be, a high school math prep class might be a good way to use your summer.
Why is a summer math prep such a good idea?
- Taking a summer math prep course will allow you to spend time with a professional tutor, including a lot of 1 on 1 time. This allows them to assess exactly where you are and tailor their teaching and curriculum accordingly.
- So, if you are a math superstar, you will be challenged to continue to improve – even if you are ahead of your school coursework, this can prepare you to ensure you have a solid foundation to rely upon in the upcoming school year.
- Problem solving skills – often, in large groups, we aren’t taught to approach math as dynamically as we should be – it becomes rote and drill. The small groups and one on one time with the tutors allows them to dig deeper and improve not only math skills, but how you approach problems outside of math as well.
- While the tips, tricks and skills you learn will help prepare you for math tests, there is flexibility inside of a summer program to focus on any areas that you need help.
But do I really need a high school math tutor over the summer?
At JKCP we believe summer should be about balance. No one should be stuck in a classroom eight hours a day studying math in the summer. But just a few hours a day could make a huge impact on your math skills.
- Avoid Summer Slide - whether you struggle with math or love it and want to continue to improve, taking several months off from a technical discipline can hinder your goals. This is a great time to make sure your fundamentals are solid and get a jump start on the upcoming year!
- It can be fun – seriously! Our tutors know you are spending a beautiful summer day learning trigonometry or differential calculus and they make sure that you aren’t just rolling through pages in a text book without looking up. They keep students engaged – an engaged student learns better!
- Take stress off the school year - for many students the school year can be a busy and stressful time. Taking the time to prepare for the upcoming school year can help students feel more at ease when entering the next grade level and ease some of the busyness.
About Enrichment Classes at JKCP
This math class is part of Enrichment, so don’t worry, you will not be spending the whole time in the classroom solving algebraic equations...unless you want to! There are activities planned for every evening. You can take Math Prep in the morning and choose from a list of other classes in the afternoon, ranging from Yoga to Public Speaking. Have fun expanding your network, making friends, and having a blast. If you choose to stay through the weekends, you will also get the opportunity to take weekends trips to places like NYC and Washington, DC and explore Philly on Sundays.