By Andrew Waters, Health Director
The hustle and bustle of the holiday season can be demanding. Family gatherings, holiday parties and shopping can start to impact your health, mentally and physically. It is important to actively strive to maintain balance in your exercise, diet and emotional realms in order to make the most of the season.
Here are some tips for achieving balance –
* Add or increase meditation time - You may find starting and ending your day with a sense of calm makes you more capable of coping with the demands of the holiday season.
* Move, move, move! – Tap into those stress-fighting hormones with a little extra exercise. Add an extra 15-20 minutes to your exercise routine to burn off those extra calories that come along with seasonal celebrating.
* Maintain focus on the social connections – Time spent together needn’t revolve around food. Plan a game night or craft day to release stress. Spend extra time with your loved ones while taking a walk, sledding or ice skating to increase the calorie burn along with the fun.
* Downtime – It is important to get plenty of rest so your body and mind have the energy to truly enjoy your celebrations with friends and family. Try and maintain your healthy sleeping patterns. Rest will also help regulate your digestion and provide energy for an increased workout routine.
* Choose wisely – There are many delicious temptations over the holidays. Try to limit calorie rich treats. Pile your plate with colorful veggies and don’t forget your multi-vitamins. Being aware of what is on your plate goes a very long way to enhancing balance. Try to avoid mindless eating.
Happy holidays to you all.